Housing Resources - City of Placerville

Welcome to the City of Placerville’s Housing Resources:

Here you will find information regarding the City's:

Information for Developers

Housing Program 18. Statewide Community Infrastructure Program (SCIP):

The City intends to implement this program for all projects, particularly housing projects, to provide housing developers this program to finance impact fees. If a developer/property owner chose to participate in SCIP, the selected public capital improvements and the development impact fees owed to the City would be financed by the issuance of tax-exempt bonds by California Statewide Communities Development Authority (CSCDA). CSCDA would impose a special assessment on the owner's property tax bill to repay the portion of the bonds issued to finance the fees paid with respect to the property and the public capital improvements benefiting the property. With respect to the impact fees, the developer may either pay the impact fees at the time of permit issuance and receive reimbursement from the SCIP bond proceeds when the SCIP bonds are issued, or the fees will be funded directly from the proceeds of the SCIP bonds. If the property owner pays the impact fees in advance, the City is required to pay the fees to SCIP. If the property owner does not pay the impact fees in advance, SCIP holds onto the bond proceeds representing the fees. In either case, the fees are subject to requisition by the City at anytime to make authorized fee expenditures. By holding and investing the money until it is spent, SCIP is able to monitor the investment earnings (which come to the City for federal tax law arbitrage purposes). SCIP encourages the City to spend the proceeds before any other fee revenues of the City. If the fees are paid by the property owner and bonds are never issued, the fees would be returned to the City by SCIP. In this way, the City is never at risk of losing the impact fees.

Vacant Parcel Inventory:

The Development Services Department keeps an inventory of vacant residential parcels, as part of its implementation of the City’s Housing Element, including those with the potential for low-income housing on an annual basis.

  • Inventory of vacant residential parcels
  • Inventory of Publicly Assisted Multi-Family Housing Within the City of Placerville: This inventory comprises Tables 38, 39 and the potential sites for rezoning within Table 40 and Appendix E of our adopted Housing Element, which may be viewed here. 

Accommodation of Housing for Persons with Disabilities:

Included in the City's Zoning Ordinance (Section 10-3-12) is the process by which persons with disabilities or their representatives can request deviations from the strict application of zoning standards to allow accessory structures, building modifications, or other features that improve accessibility to housing and supportive services for persons with disabilities. This Ordinance may be viewed by visiting our City Code (Title 10, Chapter 3, Section 12).

Other Housing Related Resources:

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs):

The City allows the establishment of accessory dwelling units within its residential zones. City regulations and standards for accessory dwelling units may be viewed by visiting our dedicated ADU webpage

Public Housing Authority:

El Dorado County's Department of Community Services operates the Housing Authority for all of El Dorado County. The Housing Authority web page provides information regarding rental assistance to low income households, and lists several apartments within El Dorado County, including several within the City of Placerville.

California Housing Finance Agency (CalHFA)

CalHFA supports the needs of renters and homebuyers by providing financing and programs that create safe, decent and affordable housing opportunities for low to moderate income Californians. CalHFA has first and junior loan options for low to moderate income families, including low to zero interest rate down payment assistance loans. Visit CalHFA’s website for more information.

Fair Housing:

Every person has the right of equal access to rental housing and homeownership opportunities without fear of discrimination. The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing due to race or color; national origin; religion; gender; familial status (having children or being pregnant); and disability. Based on these factors, landlords or sellers are prohibited from the following actions:

  • Refuse to rent or sell housing.
  • Refuse to negotiate for housing.
  • Make housing unavailable.
  • Deny a dwelling.
  • Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling.
  • Provide different housing services or facilities.
  • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale or rental.
  • For profit, persuade, or try to persuade homeowners to sell or rent dwellings by suggesting that people of a particular race, etc. have moved, or are about to move into the neighborhood.
  • Deny any person access to, or membership or participation in, any organization, facility or service (such as multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of dwellings, or discriminate against any person in the terms or conditions of such access, membership or participation.

If you think your fair housing rights may have been violated be sure to keep records of what happened, when it happened, and who discriminated against you. You have one year after the discrimination allegedly occurred to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and/or the State Department of Fair Employment & Housing (DFEH).

You may contact HUD either in writing, or via telephone or email at:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Sacramento Field Office
John East Moss Federal Building
650 Capitol Mall, Room 4-200
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 498-5220 Fax (916) 498-5262
E-mail (CA_Webmanager@hud.gov)
Webpage (https://www.hud.gov/)

You may contact DFEH either in writing, via telephone or E-Mail at:

Department of Fair Employment and Housing
2218 Kausen Drive, Suite 100
Elk Grove, CA 95758
Phone: (800) 884-1684
E-mail (contact.center@dfeh.ca.gov)

A DFEH representative will respond to your email within two business days.
Communication Center 800-884-1684 (Voice), 800-700-2320 (TTY) or California's Relay Service at 711. For persons with a hearing disability.

The California State Department of Consumer Affairs has published an informative guide to your rights as a tenant:

California Tenants- A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities

Policy 1: The City will maintain an inventory of vacant residential sites, to be updated annually.

Policy 2: As needed, the City will annex land within its Sphere of Influence (SOI) to maintain an adequate supply of residential land.

Policy 3: The City will promote infill development by identifying suitable sites, design goals, and potential development incentives.

City of Placerville
Planning Division
3101 Center Street
Placerville CA 95667

(530) 642-5252
updated: August 31, 2020