City Historic Resources

Bell Tower_1.jpg

City Designated

Bell Tower Monument – Main Street – City Code Sect ion 8-1 6-3

John Blair House - 980 Pacific Street - City Council Resolution 2908

Caboose - Old Canal Street and Main Street - City Council Resolution 5362

City Cemetery – 769 Chamberlain Street - City Council Resolution 4112

Druid Monument (Frederick Sieg Monument) – Main Street and Cedar Ravine - City Code Section 8-16-3

Gold Bug Park - 2635 Goldbug Lane - City Council Resolution 2895

Koletzke House - 2744 Coloma Street - City Council Resolution 5894

585 Main Street - City Council Resolution 5873

Methodist Episcopal Church - 1031 Thompson Way - City Council Resolution 5496

Shakespeare Club – 2940 Bedford Avenue – City Council Resolution 4161

State Designated

Hangman's Tree - State Historical Landmark No. 0141 - 305 Main Street:

“In the days of 1849, when this city was called Hangtown, vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. This was the site of Hay Yard, on which stood the 'Hangman's Tree.'”

Methodist Episcopal Church - State Historical Landmark No. 767 - 1031 Thompson Way

Old Dry Diggins - Old Hangtown State Historical Landmark No. 475 - Bedford Avenue at Main Street

This rich mining camp was established on the banks of Hangtown Creek in the spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills, and it served as a supply center for mining camps and transportation terminus for the famous Comstock Lode. John M. Studebaker, Mark Hopkins, Leland Stanford, Phillip Armour, and Edwin Markham were among well-known men who contributed to Placerville's history, as did John A. 'Snowshoe' Thompson, who carried from 60 to 80 pounds of mail on skis from Placerville over the Sierra to Carson Valley during winter months .” 1

Placerville - Overland Pony Express State Historical Landmark No.0701 - Main Street at Sacramento Street

Gold rush town and western terminus of the Placerville-Carson Road to the Comstock, Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express from April 4, 1860 until June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860, the first eastbound pony rider, William (Sam) Hamilton, changed horses, added an express letter to his mochila, and sped away for Sportsman's Hall. Placerville was the western terminus of the Pony Express from July 1, 1861 until its discontinuance on October 26, 1861. Location: SW corner of Main and Sacramento. 1

Stable Building – State Point of Interest No. 653 – 582 Main Street

Studebaker's Shop (Site of) - State Historical Landmark No. 0142 - 543 Main Street

“This shop was built in the early 1850s. The front part housed a blacksmith shop operated by Ollis and Hinds, and John Mohler Studebaker rented a part of the rear. Here he had a bench and sort of woodworking shop where he repaired and worked on wagon wheels and the like. A little later he began to make wheelbarrows for the miners' use. He became engaged in the making of ammunition wagons for the Union Army - from that grew his extensive wagon and carriage business and, eventually, the automobile business.” 1

National Register of Historic Places

Combellack - Blair House - 3059 Cedar Ravine Street - National Register NRIS# 85000259

Hattie (Gold Bug), Priest and Silver Pine Mines and Stampmill – 2635 Goldbug Lane – National Register NRIS# 85003522

Methodist Episcopal Church - 2979 Coloma Street - National Register NRIS# 77000291

Confidence Engine Company Hall - 487 Main Street - National Register NRIS# 82002174

Fountain-Tallman Soda Works - 524 Main Street - National Register NRIS# 84000770

John Pearson's Soda Works - 594 Main Street - National Register NRIS# 85003326