Historic Resources

Historic Resources Inventory
placerville-dam-crop-300x178.jpg
Historic resource inventories are documents developed by communities throughout the United States. During 1984 and 1985 an inventory of historic resources within the City was prepared under the direction of a City hired consultant, Betty C. Laarveld of Laarveld House. This work was funded by a grant from the California Department of Parks and Recreation along with matching City funding.

The following survey documents for various properties with the City, along with other locations and structures designated by City Council as historic, comprise the City's Historic Resource Inventory (HRI). This inventory is a planning tool for the evaluation and treatment of historic properties within the City of Placerville. The inventory is organized by street name below. An index of the HRI may be accessed here .

Street Names - B

2934 Bedford Avenue: Plumado House; Gladwell House

2940 Bedford Avenue: Placerville Shakespeare Club

2957 Bedford Avenue: Bosquit House

2977 Bedford Avenue: A.J. Kennedy House; Irvin Apartment

2985 Bedford Avenue: Ingham-Atwood House

2991 Bedford Avenue: Goodrich House

Bedford Avenue: Old Dry Diggins - Old Hangtown State Historical Landmark No. 475

This rich mining camp was established on the banks of Hangtown Creek in the spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills, and it served as a supply center for mining camps and transportation terminus for the famous Comstock Lode. John M. Studebaker, Mark Hopkins, Leland Stanford, Phillip Armour, and Edwin Markham were among well-known men who contributed to Placerville's history, as did John A. 'Snowshoe' Thompson, who carried from 60 to 80 pounds of mail on skis from Placerville over the Sierra to Carson Valley during winter months. 1

Street Names - C

Cedar Ravine Residential District

2139 Cedar Ravine Street

3059 Cedar Ravine Street: Combellack - Blair House
National Register NRIS# 85000259

3062 Cedar Ravine Street: Blair-Thompson House

3116 Cedar Ravine Street: Sheppard House

Chamberlain Street: City Cemetery

Cemetery designated as a historic site, March 8, 1983 ( City Council Resolution 4112 )

2985 Clay Street: James Blair House

Coloma Street / Spring Street Historic District

2744 Coloma Street: Koletzke House
Designated as having historic significance, March 28, 1995 ( City Council Resolution 5894 )

2883 Coloma Street: Mahler-Hirst-Claire Freeman Residence

2889 Coloma Street

2895 Coloma Street: Tobey Residence

2904 Coloma Street: Richards Residence

2910 Coloma Street: Max Baer Residence

2916 Coloma Street: Frank Simon Residence

2920 Coloma Street: Tim Haw Residence

2923 Coloma Street: Dr. S.H. Rantz Residence

2934 Coloma Street: J. Fox House

2935 Coloma Street: Leo Burger Residence

2941 Coloma Street: Dr. W.A. Rantz Residence

2942 Coloma Street: Austin Wing House

2951 Coloma Street: Merrill Residence

2955 Coloma Street: John Davey House

2960 Coloma Street: Dr. W.A. Reckers Residence

2971 Coloma Street: John Tinney Home

2979 Coloma Street: Methodist Episcopal Church
National Register NRIS# 77000291

2980 Coloma Street: Placerville Rooms

Street Names - G

2635 Goldbug Lane - Hattie (Gold Bug) Mines & Stampmill
Hangtown's Gold Bug Park designated as a historic site, April 28, 1981 ( City Council Resolution 2895 )

2925 Grandview Street: Hutchison House; Gerace House

Street Names - M

Main Street at Sacramento Street: Placerville - Overland Pony Express State Historical Landmark No.0701 .


Gold rush town and western terminus of the Placerville-Carson Road to the Comstock, Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express from April 4, 1860 until June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860, the first eastbound pony rider, William (Sam) Hamilton, changed horses, added an express letter to his mochila, and sped away for Sportsman's Hall. Placerville was the western terminus of the Pony Express from July 1, 1861 until its discontinuance on October 26, 1861. Location: SW corner of Main and Sacramento. 1


82 Main Street: O'keffe Residence & Toll House

248 Main Street: Bayless & Company Brick

250 Main Street: City Bakery / Lacey & Company Bakery

251 Main Street: Fred Hungers Butcher Shop

253 Main Street: Landeckers Brick Building; Youngs Trading Post

254 Main Street: Bayless & Company Store

255 Main Street: Ohio House Lodging & Restaurant

262 Main Street: Arch Saloon, Winchell's Furniture & Undertaking

263 Main Street: 49er Corner Saloon; Meat Market; Columbus Hall

300-304 Main Street: Cary House

301-305 Main Street: Benswangers Fruit Store; Herrick & Bonsteel's Brick

305 Main Street: Hangman's Tree - State Historical Landmark No. 0141

In the days of 1849, when this city was called Hangtown, vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. This was the site of Hay Yard, on which stood the 'Hangman's Tree.' 1

311-321 Main Street: JC O'Donnells Store

316 Main Street

325 Main Street: Tracy Building

327 Main Street: Mierson Building

339 Main Street

352 Main Street: Iron Door Building; Van Voorhies Iron Front Building

543 Main Street: Site of Studebaker's Shop (Site of) - State Historical Landmark No. 0142


This shop was built in the early 1850s. The front part housed a blacksmith shop operated by Ollis and Hinds, and John Mohler Studebaker rented a part of the rear. Here he had a bench and sort of woodworking shop where he repaired and worked on wagon wheels and the like. A little later he began to make wheelbarrows for the miners' use. He became engaged in the making of ammunition wagons for the Union Army - from that grew his extensive wagon and carriage business and, eventually, the automobile business. 1


359 Main Street: White & Metzer's Brick Building

360 Main Street: Pettit Van Voorhies Drug Store

364 Main Street: Reynolds and Company Grocery & Provisions Store

369 Main Street: Sanitex Cleaners - Arcade Restaurant / Stephens Livery

375 Main Street: Arcade Restaurant and Stephens Livery Stable

376 Main Street: Round Tent Bar & Café

379 Main Street: East Half: Kline & Bamberger; West Half: & Haas Building

384 Main Street: Old Round Tent Store

385 Main Street: Plaza Building

409 Main Street: Shelly Inch Building

413-423 Main Street: Masonic Temple

425-433 Main Street: Lower Fairchild Building

435 Main Street

437 Main Street: Wells Fargo and Company

441 Main Street: Pioneer Hardware

442 Main Street: Hart Building

443 Main Street

444 Main Street: Gridley's Grocery and Provisions

459-465 Main Street: Upper Fairchild Building

462-470 Main Street

469 Main Street: Odd Fellows Hall

480-482 Main Street: Rolleri Building

484 Main Street: Justice of the Peace Office

487 Main Street: Confidence Engine Company Hall
National Register NRIS# 82002174

489 Main Street: Emigrant Jane Building

495 Main Street: El Dorado County Courthouse

516 Main Street: Little Pacific Gas & Electric Building

524 Main Street: Fountain-Tallman Soda Works
National Register NRIS# 84000770

542 Main Street: Veterans' Building

585 Main Street: (City Council Resolution 5873)

594 Main Street: John Pearson's Soda Works

National Register NRIS# 85003326

692-696 Main Street: Samuel L. Turner Residence

801 Morey Drive, (old address - 805 Lilac Lane): Henry S. Morey House

Street Names - O

Old Canal Street: Caboose designated as having historic value and interest, May 28, 1991 ( City Council Resolution 5362 )

Street Names - P

772 and 778 Pacific Street: Giebenhain-Fausel House

847 Pacific Street: Stone House

980 Pacific Street: John Blair House
Designated as a historic structure by City Council Resolution 2908

Street Names - S

786 Spring Street: Walter Butts House

787 Spring Street: John Larue or Annie Jaeger House

800 Spring Street: Chichester-McKee House

811 Spring Street: Max Mierson Residence

855 Spring Street: Killough-Brandon-Cook Residence

861 Spring Street: Frank Ward Residence

Street Names - T

1031 Thompson Way: Methodist Episcopal Church State Historical Landmark No. 767 - (City Council Resolution 5496)


Erected in 1851, this is the oldest church building in El Dorado County. Its original site was on the corner of Cedar Ravine and Main Street, Placerville. 1


1 California State Parks - Office of Historic Preservation Website


Residential Historic Districts

The City Council established Residential Historical Districts in 1981 upon the adoption of Ordinance 1280. The non-contiguous historical districts include four areas within the City:

Spring Street - Coloma Street
Bedford Avenue - Clay Street
Cedar Ravine
Sacramento Street - Chamberlain Street

District locations are shown on the Residential Historic District Maps

Significant examples of local architecture can be found within the district. They are part of the City's most important cultural and historical heritage, contributing to the City's character and quality of life and bringing visitors to the area.

Current and future residents of the historic district are encouraged to improve their properties through renovation, rehabilitation, and repair that is consistent with the historic, architectural and aesthetic character of the neighborhood, as well as the regulations set forth in the Zoning Ordinance, Historic Buildings In The City ( Zoning Ordinance Section 10-4-10 ), and the Secretary of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation and Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historical Buildings

In addition, the National Park Service has created Rehab Yes/No , an on-line tutorial addressing basic issues that frequently arise during rehabilitation. For further reading, the National Park Service also has available, free of charge, a series of Preservation Briefs that are designed as basic "how to" guides written by field experts. These resources along with the Secretary of Interior Standards will help you prepare and plan for beginning a remodeling project on a historic structure, and/or for those structures located within a residential historical district.

If you are planning a remodeling project that will affect the exterior of a historic structure, or a structure within a residential historic district, your project may require Historic District Review as part of the review and approval process. Applications and fees for Historic District Review may be found on the Planning Division's webpage HERE . Please contact the Development Services Department for more information.


Historical Advisory Committee

On February 24, 2015, the City Council suspended the Historical Advisory Committee indefinitely and the Planning Commission is tasked with assuming their duties.